Slip and Fall Injury Attorney in New Jersey
Committed to Representing the Legal Rights of Clients with a Slip and Fall Case
Slip and fall accidents happen on a daily basis throughout the state of New Jersey, sometimes with serious results. The National Safety Council reports that slip and falls are responsible for nearly 9 million emergency department visits each year, making them one of the most common causes of accidental injury. While common, these accidents are often very serious can leave you with injuries requiring medical treatment and an inability to do your job. In fact, slip and fall accidents can even cause permanent disabilities in particularly serious cases. For this reason, if you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident, you should be sure to speak with a New Jersey slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible.
Slip and Fall Accidents in NJ
If you are like most people, you have likely slipped and fallen at some point in your life. In most of these accidents, victims are able to walk away with bumps, bruises, or even no injuries at all. In some slip and falls, however, you may be left with serious injuries requiring emergency medical treatment and even long-term care. Some of the more common serious injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs)
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Sprains and strains
- Muscle tears
- Serious lacerations
Certain types of injuries, such as TBIs and SCIs, have the potential to leave victims with permanent disabilities. For example, an SCI can cause paralysis below the site of the injury, meaning that victims will require medical care for the rest of their lives. For this reason, slip and fall accidents resulting in severe injuries can often entitle victims to hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in compensation.
Slip and Fall Law Process NJ
After a slip and fall, you may be wondering whether you need to hire an attorney, especially if you have been approached by an insurance company offering to settle the case. It is important to keep in mind that insurance companies do not have your best interests in mind and simply want to settle the case for as little as possible The fact is, that the process of obtaining compensation after a slip and fall accident is extremely complicated, and the assistance of an attorney is invaluable in ensuring that you get the full value of your claim. Some of the ways that an attorney can help are detailed below.
- Your lawyer will determine whether you have a claim – Not every slip and fall accident gives you the right to sue. In order to have a legal claim, you must be able to show that your accident was caused by negligence and determining this fact often requires significant analysis and investigation. Examples of the kinds of slip and fall hazards that are often caused by negligence include inadequate lighting, wet floors, accumulations of snow and ice, and exposed cords or wiring.
- Your attorney will negotiate on your behalf – The vast majority of slip and fall cases are resolved by settling the case. This occurs when one party concedes that the accident was their fault and the only issue that needs to be addressed his how much the at-fault party will pay the other. There are two important reasons that an attorney should be involved in this process – first, without an attorney, there is no real chance of litigating the claim, weakening your bargaining position, and second, it is next to impossible to determine how much a particular claim is worth without legal training and experience in representing slip and fall victims.
- Your lawyer may file a lawsuit on your behalf – Not all cases can be resolved through the settlement process. If the at-fault party does not concede liability or unwilling to make a reasonable settlement offer, it may be necessary to have a court resolve the dispute. Filing a personal injury case and conducting a trial are both extremely complicated, so it is critical for anyone considering taking a case to trial to retain a skilled attorney.
Experienced Slip and Fall Attorney
Call the Law Offices of Kurt M. Resch, P.C. Today
Slip and fall accidents can entitle victims to significant financial compensation. Attorney Kurt M. Resch is personally invested in each client he represents and relentlessly pursues justice on behalf of his clients. Mr. Resch regularly represents clients in Bergen County, Passaic County, Hudson County, and the surrounding areas. If you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident, you should call our office as soon as possible to schedule a free consultation. Call us today at 201-488-5454 or email us through our online contact form to set up a free consultation with a New Jersey slip and fall accident lawyer.